13 March 2013

Holidays, Day 1

FRIDAY 8 MARCH

My first day off was also the first night of WOMADelaide, but I had a slight clash of timetables - Friday 8 March was the first Broncos game of the season, and was being played at home!

Being season ticket holders (for a second year), Kara and I of course went. But due to my Saturday flight plans (departing 6am), I stayed up late Thursday and had a really long sleep-in on the Friday to prepare for my all-nighter.

The under-20s Brisbane team beat their Manly rivals in the early game. Kara and I took separate buses, so she saw this game, but I didn't. I got there in good time for the main event, which was pretty good. Especially the first half. First to score, and playing well, Brisbane were leading 14-6 at half time.

Then came the second half. Manly scored three tries within seven minutes, and regardless of ref calls, Brisbane never recovered or regrouped enough to fight back to within grasp of retaking the lead.

After that it was off to the Paddo for some free beer (part of the XXXX Fanatics membership we have), and then the long all-stops train ride home.

Once home, we settled in front of the TV to watch the last disc of Season 2 of "24", which we'd been watching. We had just enough time to get to the end of the final episode when I had to walk out the door into the dark to catch my cab.

I'd booked a taxi for 4am pickup, with the aim of getting to the airport in good time for check-in. I could've really left it for 4:30, as there was next to no traffic on the highways at that hour of the morning. I was at the airport, checked in, and upstairs at my gate by just after 4:30. With boarding not to start till 5:40, and takeoff at 6:10, I was so glad I brought some donuts, iced coffee, and a book to read. (Clive Cussler's "Sahara", for those who are interested. I've seen the movie a few times, but never read the book.)

The holiday continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...