07 March 2013

Music Month

It looks like March is going to be a Music Month.

As of tomorrow, I'm on annual leave from work for 4 weeks.

My holidays start with a trip down to Adelaide (my first visit in actual - not toddler - memory) for the annual music festival WOMADelaide. With artists coming from all over Australia and the world, it's a festival I've wanted to go to for quite some time.



This year, some of the artists include:


Bassekou Kouyaté & Ngoni Ba
(Mali)
Salif Keita
(Mali)
Vieux Farka Touré
(Mali)
Souad Massi
(Algeria)

I already have some of each of their albums, so I'm looking forward to seeing some quality African music live in concert. There are also many other bands and musicians I've looked up on YouTube and would love to hear live.

Oh, and on the reggae side of things...

Jimmy Cliff
(Jamaica)

So yeah, that's going to be pretty cool.



Later in the month, I'll be seeing Swedish folk/prog/metal giants, Opeth.


I've seen them once before, on their last tour, for their tour supporting the album "Heritage" - which features no death growls. The entire set was made up of melodic/ballady songs from that and previous albums, so hopefully this time they throw in some of the heavier stuff too.



The weekend after that...

Mutemath
This will be my first time seeing Mutemath live, but I have seen frontman Paul Meany twice before, over ten years ago, when he was keyboardist and co-lead vocalist of indie Christian rock band Earthsuit.



The weekend after that is Easter. Which means we'll be making our annual trip up to the city of Toowoomba for Easterfest. And one of the headliners this year? One of my favourite metal bands ever, Demon Hunter, are coming out to Australia for the first time!


The announcement was made last year on my birthday - which was a pretty cool present in itself. I will be as close to front and centre at this show as I possibly can be. Stay tuned for pictures next month.

Looks like a packed music month!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...